A step-by-step guide to planning big Photo Books
So you’ve decided to start a Photo Book (yay!) but you’ve also realised you’ve got quite a lot of photos to sort through and then a whole book to design… That’s why we thought we should tell you a bit more about our credit option for Photo Books and what you can achieve in the 3 months you have to create.
What is credit?
The simple answer: more time and better value.
We want you to get the most out of your Photo Book (as they last for a very long time!) and with credit you get up to 3 months to create a masterpiece. We thought this is the right amount of time to spend putting your Photo Book together as a fun side project.
Credit also gives you better value on your purchase per page, so you can get cracking on your creation with the knowledge that you bagged yourself a bargain book.
Initial planning & preparation
Before you get lost in your photo albums it’s a good idea to have a think about the logistics of your book. If you’re a whizz at staying organised (or just want a clear plan of what you’re doing) then you may want to write your ideas down.
Start your plan by thinking about:
- Who is it for?
- Is it needed for a particular date?
- What style would you like? (formal, decorative, simple, etc.)
- How many photos (roughly) do you have?
- Which Photo Book are you interested in?
There are many ways you can organise photos in your book. Here are some that we’d suggest:
Try and create a rough plan by section (this will make it easier to pick up where you left off when you work on it):
e.g. Photo Book about your dog
Puppy years 2010-2012 (30 photos)
Treat-thieving teens 2012-2015 (45 photos)
Golden oldie years 2015-2020 (40 photos)
What kind of planner are you? Everyone likes to work differently on creative projects and will have different requirements, so we’ve put together 3 plans to fit different timeframes and paces!
All the time in the world plan
Relaaaaax with plenty of time to get a solid plan mapped out before you start. Spend some more time getting to know our online editor, so it’s super easy to add your photos later.
- Relax and take time with your initial plan
- Get used to using our online editor/different layouts – have a play around with a page, resizing photos and reordering pages
- Scan any photos you have as hard copies onto your computer
- Upload photos to Photobox
- Organise your albums online
- Choose page layouts – this will help you work out how many photos you might want to add to each section
- Start adding photos to your book by section
- Continue adding photos if needed
- Add captions, dates or comments
- Choose themes/borders
- 1 week to add the final touches
Chop and change plan
Can’t quite make up your mind about your Photo Book? No problem. We’ve got a plan that’s made for a quick turnaround if you want to start again.
- Plan out your answers to the initial questions
- Scan and upload photos to your Photobox account
- Begin choosing layouts for your pages using your plan as a guide
- Changed your mind? Change your book or page layouts to get yourself back on track by using our Easy Create option
- Start setting out your photos on each page
- Add any text and themes/borders
- 3 days to add finishing touches
1 month blitz plan
Let’s go, go, go! If you have a good idea of what you want and a date you need your book for then this plan is perfect for you.
- Plan out your book
- Scan any photos you have as hard copies
- Upload and organise your photos into albums
- Choose layouts for each page according to your plan – use our ‘shuffle layouts’ option to save yourself some time and get some ideas!
- Start dropping photos into your book
- Finish adding any last photos
- Add text and themes/borders
- Spend a day doing final checks to make sure you’re happy
Once you’ve selected the right plan for you, you’re ready to get started. Remember, you have up to 3 months with credit to create your Photo Book, so take your time and enjoy it!