If you’re serious about photography, you’ll need the right equipment, and as you probably know, it doesn’t come cheap. Thankfully, there’s always camera insurance, so you can keep your prized equipment protected while you’re out shooting. Like most other insurance policies, you can pay a yearly or monthly fee to the insurer, so that in the event of damage or theft, you can recoup the cost of the equipment and get back to snapping in no time. There are a number of different plans available to you and a number of insurance options. Find out more with us!

What can you be covered against?

Simply put, you can receive coverage against pretty much any eventuality. Possibly the most common insurance plan is protection against accidental damage or loss, which isn’t a rare occurrence among the most adventurous photographers. Additionally, you can get protection against theft and public liability, which means that you can recoup the cost of equipment if it is stolen – either from your person or from your home. There are also options for replacement hire, meaning you can get a temporary replacement camera from your insurer while your claim is processed, so the professionals amongst you can keep working.

The cover you need wholly depends on your circumstances. For example, if you prone to street photography, then making sure you’re covered against theft or loss is probably a good idea, as it’s a higher risk. On the other hand, if you’re a wildlife photographer, ensuring that you’re protected against accidental damage is vital.

Amateur or professional cover?

You’ll find that most insurers offer different levels of cover depending on the general use of your equipment. As the name suggests, Amateur cover (or standard cover as it is sometimes known) is for photographers who use their equipment primarily as a hobby. If you’re a budding photographer who uses their spare time to take stunning snaps, this level of protection is ideal.

Likewise, professional cover is designed for people whose income is directly linked to their photography equipment i.e. journalists, paparazzi. The main difference between the two is the maximum insured valued that you can have. This means that Professional level insurance will cover a greater amount of equipment, though the cost is usually more. But you’d rather be safe than sorry, right?

Furthermore, professional packages will include cover for assistants that work under you and will generally have some form of professional indemnity element, which will cover you in the event of legal action between you and a client. Regardless of which you choose, you’re still likely to get public liability insurance as standard, which will insure you against damage to others.

How much does it cost?

As with every insurance plan, the cost varies from plan to plan and from insurer to insurer. Generally, for an amateur policy you can find plans for as little as £8 a month, though the amount of excess you pay will vary considerably. For professional camera insurance, you’ll likely have to pay a little bit more, though you can always shop around for the most lucrative deals.

Alternatives to camera insurance

While it’s always advisable to make sure you have some form of camera insurance, there are some alternatives to explore:

  • Manufacturer’s Warranty – If you have faulty equipment, or it suddenly breaks without notice, your first line of defense is the manufacturer’s warranty. If you contact the manufacturer within the allocated time, you can get your money back or even have a replacement sent to you. Typically, a warranty can last from anywhere between 1-3 years.
  • Home Contents Insurance – If already have home contents insurance, and you don’t tend to take your camera equipment out much, you will be covered. In the event that your camera is stolen from your home, you can recoup the cost or get a replacement.

Now you have everything you need to know about camera insurance, you can get out there and get snapping. Anything else to add? Let us know in the comments!