47 Best Happy Birthday Wishes
Lost for words when writing those special birthday wishes? Can’t seem to get past ‘Happy Birthday’? We know the feeling. You’ve nailed their birthday gift, but you don’t want to miss out on saying something thoughtful in their card.
We’ve put together a list of the best birthday messages for whoever’s celebrating their big day. So no matter whether it’s a sweet sixteen or a three-digit birthday, you’ll never be tongue-tied again.
Jump to the birthday wishes you’re looking for:
Keep it classic with some birthday quotes fit for any age:
- Sending you smiles for every moment of your special day. Have a wonderful time and a very happy birthday!
- Hope your birthday is just like you…totally freaking awesome.
- Work hard. Play hard. Eat lots of cake. That’s a good motto for your birthday and for life.
- Happy birthday! Hope you have an amazing day (you really deserve it)
Funny birthday wishes
Go for a more tongue-in-cheek vibe with a funny birthday message that’ll have them smirking:
- Getting older? That just means you’re getting more distinguished!
- Don’t grow up — it’s a trap. Happy birthday!
- Happy birthday! You’re just like a fine wine…you only get better with age.
- Your birthday is the perfect excuse to drink on a weekday. Happy Birthday
- May you get all you wish for. Oh wait, you already have all that you wish for. Me! Happy birthday.
- Another year to prove that older doesn’t really mean wiser. Happy birthday!
Birthday greetings for men
Stuck on what to say in a card for a man in your life? The perfect birthday wishes are in here somewhere:
- Hey Birthday! I’m sending you this ironic birthday wish because I know you’re way too cool for ordinary human sentiments.
- Sending some love to the most charming man in my life. You always bring the best out of me. I do not know how you do it, but I love you for that. Happy Birthday.
- Dude, you’re the bomb, have the best birthday ever!
- Did you know? That as a man gets older, he does not lose his hair? It just re-locates! Happy Birthday!
Birthday greetings for women
Wish the girls (women, queens) in your life a happy birthday like no other with one of these:
- Happy Birthday to the most remarkable woman I know.
- Happy birthday pretty lady! Stay fabulous
- Happy birthday to someone who is smart, gorgeous, funny and reminds me a lot of myself. From one fabulous woman to another.
- Happy birthday! Here’s to popping many more bottles of prosecco together.
Birthday wishes for dads
Whether you’re best buds or polar opposites, your dad’s birthday is the perfect time to tell him what he really means to you:
- Happy birthday to a father I’m only slightly afraid of slowly turning into.
- Hey old-timer, have a great birthday and many happy returns!
- Happy birthday to a dad who helped me grow into the type of person he’s not embarrassed to take credit for raising.
- You’re not just my father, you’re my teacher, my friend, my idol. Happy Birthday, Dad!
Birthday wishes for mums
For the leading lady in your life, wish her the happiest of birthdays with one of these:
- To the greatest mother in the world, Happy Birthday!
- Happy Birthday to my wonderful mother. Thank you for being there whenever I’ve needed you and for being the best mother I could ask for.
- Mum, being your least disappointing child feels like present enough. Happy birthday!
- Mum, you’re always taking care of other people, make sure that today of all days, other people are taking care of you!
- Happy birthday to my dear Mum. May we continue to drive each other crazy for years to come.
Birthday wishes for sisters
Maybe she’s the worst. Or maybe she’s the bomb. Either way, here’s some great ideas for her birthday wishes:
- Hey girl, I’m pretty sure that you were born to party, so…drinks later?
- Sis, I couldn’t do it without you – have a great birthday!
- Wishing the most adorable sister in the world the best birthday in the world
- To my little sister, you’re not actually that annoying. Have a great birthday!
- People like you are hard to find. Luckily for me, I didn’t have to look very far! Happy Birthday!
Birthday wishes for brothers
He’s your number one sidekick, so here’s a couple of happy birthday messages to make his day a little bit more special:
- Happy Birthday baby brother, you’re growing up so fast!
- Hey bro, you’re one year older and not all that much wiser, but that’s why I love you – have a great day!
- Happy birthday bro – hope your birthday is significantly cooler than you!
- Hey man, you’re not just the best brother in the world, you’re my best friend in the world too. Have the most amazing day!
- Wishing the coolest brother the coolest birthday ever!
Birthday messages for friends
Got one of those friends your life simply wouldn’t be the same without? Let them know with a special birthday message:
- Age is just a number and BFFs are forever – happy birthday, boo!
- Happy birthday to my no. 1 broski!
- Through thick and thin, rain and shine, you’ve always been there for me. Hope your birthday is as perfect as you are.
- At what point do friends become old friends? Whenever it is, I can’t wait! Happy birthday!
- Have the bestie birthday in the whole wide world!
- A true friend is a person who brings out the best in you, happy birthday
- Friends are the only ones who know how truly insane you actually are — lucky you! Happy birthday!
How about adding some birthday quotes with a rhyme to them? We’ve picked some of our favourites:
- Let’s celebrate your birthday, we’re young for heaven’s sake – perhaps too old for clubbing but not too old for cake.
- The wine corks will be popping, for it’s bound to be a day, full of relaxation, fun and laughter. Good times all the way!
- Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you! – Dr. Seuss
Extra tips on what to write
If you’re still stuck on what to write in a birthday card, then try jotting down a few ideas on some rough paper first. Bullet-point out the main things you’d like to mention, like how much they mean to you, an inside joke, or something you’re looking forward to together. Then you can link them all together to make a short message.
Remember to match the birthday wishes to the person you’re messaging. Are they into heartfelt messages or do they have a sarcastic streak? Fit the tone to their personality, and you’ll have them in hysterics or tearing up (with no hayfever to blame this time).Create a card