What to write in a sympathy card: 30 condolence messages
It’s a scenario we rarely think about and one that always manages to catch us out when it does arise – how to sign a sympathy card. Read on for 30 messages to include in plain or photo-centric cards, to help you write a message of comfort when it is needed most:
The loss of a friend
- My thoughts are with you in this time of grief, we mourn the loss of _______ together, just as we will celebrate his life and honour his memory always.
- It was with shock and sorrow I heard news of _______’s passing, he was an incredible friend and a devoted family man, I will do all I can to help you through this dark time, as I know _______ would for my family.
- Another angel returns to heaven, may _______’s memory live on through the cherished memories we and everyone who knew her share together.
- I am with you through this time of grief and mourning, and by the love we had for her, we will make sure _______ is never truly gone.
- _______ is in our thoughts and prayers, as his laughter and joyous spirit will forever be in our memories. May his kindness, support and endless sense of humour never be forgotten.
- We are with you, and our love for _______’s family is as strong as for the exceptional man himself, we will lean on each other and come through this dark time knowing _______ continues to be a true friend to us all.
- A joker, a genius, a sweetheart, a force to be reckoned with, _______ was one of a kind, and we will honour her memory as a woman we all adored and will never forget.
- There was no one who could bring a smile to my face faster than _______, he is bringing greater joy to the angels now. Until we meet again, my friend. All my love and sympathy.
- Some friends come and go, some stay a while and some are like _______ and mark your heart forever, there’s no card good enough for what I want to express, but please know I am here for you.
- A better friend could not be asked for, all my love to you in this time, I hope we can enjoy happier times soon like those _______ gave us so often before.
The loss of a mother/father
- A mother is an angel from heaven who must one day return, we are so sorry for your loss.
- We mourn the loss of an incredible spirit who was inspiring as a person, as a friend and as a father, we are with you in this trying time.
- The love of a mother is eternal, as is our love for yours, she will be forever remembered.
- Fathers stay with us until we are the people we are meant to be, shaped by his love and guidance, you are a person your father is truly proud of and always will be. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
- We are deeply sorry for your loss. Your mother was an extraordinary woman who blessed so many lives with her remarkable kindness.
The loss of a partner
- Love conquers all things, may your eternal love for _______ and his for you bring you comfort. Thinking of you.
- We are heartbroken to hear of your loss, you are not alone, _______ will always be with you, as are we during this difficult time.
- May your memories bring you comfort and your love for _______ continue to bring you happiness the way he brought joy to so many lives. Our thoughts are with you.
- Love is eternal until you meet again, take joy in the memories you and _______ shared, we cherish the time we had with him and with such a beautiful couple.
- May _______ live on in your heart and memories. We are here for you, and we share in your loss.
The loss of a child
- A shining light taken too soon, our love and prayers are with you.
- We are grateful to have been given the opportunity to know such a precious person as _______, may those who knew her cherish her memory as deeply as we always will.
- Your child shall forever live in the hearts of the parents who loved him most and made him the incredible young man he was. We will remember him always and are here for you in this dark time.
- Thinking of you at this time, be strong and let the memory of _______ incredible spirit give you strength. She will be with you always. She will never be forgotten.
- We are here for you no matter what, _______’s beautiful life will continue in those who love him.
- Thinking of you, we’re so sorry for your loss.
- You are in our thoughts and prayers, as _______ will always be.
- We were greatly saddened to hear of your loss. A great person has left us. We are here for you please let us know if there is anything we can do to help.
- Anyone who had the pleasure to know _______ will miss her, our thoughts are with you.
- Do not mourn the loss but celebrate the life, _______ was an exceptional person who will be truly missed.
We hope our guide will help you write sympathy messages that offer comfort in the recipient’s darkest time.