It’s the 21st Century, but does your living room know that? Bring your interior design right up to speed with our top 30 modern décor ideas!
- Light hardwood flooring can help to create a bright and airy space that’s minimal without sacrificing beautiful design.
Wooden flooring keeps the room airy
- Switch off the television, for good. We’re all about simplicity in the here and now, and decorating your living room sans TV is a great way of introducing an elegant contemporary aesthetic to your living room.
- An armchair with a bold print fabric can be the perfect accent piece for your modern décor.
Sit back, relax!
- Introduce colourful cushions into a room with neutral tones to really make it pop!
- Hang up some polaroid prints for a bit of artsy flair.
- Black and grey colours are a great way of adding an understated minimalist feel to a modern living room.
- Scandinavian style is at the forefront of contemporary interior design trends. For your very own ‘hygge’ heaven, add homely hints like candles and blankets to a minimalist living room.
Candles are the perfect way to add some warm tones
- Wooden consoles, cabinets and shelves are the perfect way of adding a few rustic elements to your living room.
- Modern décor is all about light. Open-weave coffee tables, floor-to-ceiling windows and translucent furniture are your friends.
- Dot interesting or unusual plants throughout the room for a natural flavour that’s just as understated as it is intriguing.
One contemporary cactus, coming right up
- For all the bookworms out there, a reading nook is one of the best ways of really making your living room your own.
- If you’ve got a desk in your living room, why not add a desk photo for that personal touch?
- Let light flood the room by using sheer curtains, rather than heavy drapes or blinds.
For a light space, go for sheer
- Loads of different colours can work well for a contemporary room, but one thing that might set your space apart is the introduction of metallic, gold or silver elements.
- Just because you’re aiming for a modern décor aesthetic, doesn’t mean you can’t blend the traditional with the contemporary. Statement pieces like cabinets or Victorian mirrors can work great in the appropriate setting.
- Add elements from different cultures for a truly modern interior design.
- A booze or coffee station (why not both!) is the perfect addition to any interior.
Keep your guests refreshed!
- Stay low, low, low! Modern décor tends to use lots of low-back furniture pieces, including sofas and coffee tables.
- Black and white are the ideal statement colours. Go for a black and white rug or sofa to really stamp your design creds on the space!
- Make sure that your living room matches with the rest of your home. Use one ‘hero colour’ in every room to pull your entire dwelling together.
- Oversized greenery can bring a touch of vibrancy to the room. A spider plant is one of the most popular choices.
A spider plant can bring the outdoors to you
- If you’re designing in a small space, use a couple of full-size furniture pieces rather than trying to cram in lots of smaller ones.
- No contemporary living room is complete without some art prints on the walls. Go with a much-loved classic or personalise it with one of your very own photos.
Keep things artistic with an art print
- Want a warm look that’s also as contemporary as they come, go for gold.
- Mix and match textures. Why can’t we have the best of all worlds, after all!
- Go symmetrical, or go home! Seriously, symmetry is your friend if you’re trying to create a modern look for your living room.
- Choose a couple of diverse pieces, and leave lots of empty space, for a modern décor that also serves as a great representation of who you are.
- Varying shades of white and cream puts you in minimalist dreamland!
- No-one’s quite as modern as the French, right? For that little bit of je ne sais quoi, add in a Parisian- style antique chandelier.
Parisian chic is a chandelier
- Dual accents are the best way of creating a balanced modern look. Two of each, please!
No time like the present to update your living room, so get started today!